Korporaal is an area roughly enclosed by the Caracasbaaiweg, the Seru Loraweg and the Weg naar Fuik. Largely undeveloped. François has lived close to this area and knew of a well and hofi in this area. The Werbata map showed a tanki and some rois; the later topographical maps (Kadaster 1962 and 1993) showed one or two wells in the Eastern part of the area.
We parked part of our cars at the new Burger King restaurant and the rest of the cars on both sides of the road near Napa. Close to Napa there is a dirt road that leads into this undeveloped area.
Apart from the fact that the area is largely undeveloped the area is strangely enough also largely free of dense vegetation. So it was easy to walk to the top of a hill closeby. From there we walked in the direction of the tanki. What we found was indeed a tanki, but completely empty. There were a large number of (dead) freshwater snails on the bottom of the tanki as proof that there was water here for quite some time.
While the others took a rest in the tanki I tried to reach the Caracasbaaiweg to get an idea where exactly the tanki was compared to the buildings along the road. I didn't reach the road because of a dense vegetation but could clearly see the C-bay shopping mall through the bushes directly opposite the tanki.
From the tanki we followed a path to the top of the highest hill in this area. From the top at 49 meters we had a nice view in all directions. This wide view made clear how large this undeveloped area is. What the reason is that this area was never parceled out is unclear. We found some markers as proof that the area was at least surveyed.
From the hill we went in the direction of some green bushes where we expected to find at least one well. In the end we found two wells at exactly the place where they were marked on the Kadaster 1993 map. The first one was intact and contained water. The second one was destroyed or collapsed. Only part of the rim was present. These wells were not present when Werbata made his map so they are constructed after 1909.
Remarkable detail of both wells is the way the inside is constructed. Apparently a rim of zinc plates was constructed inside the hole and then the space between the rock wall and the zinc plates was filled up with concrete. The zinc plates were then removed.
Another strange detail is that we found a Dreifi di laman close to the first well. These trees grow normally close to the sea as their name suggests. Apparently this one is planted here.
We walked through a part of the mondi that was burned. After a while we came in a former hofi with a number of really impressive Tamarind trees. François went looking for a well that he remembered from the time that he lived in this area but couldn't find what he was looking for.
We left the area on the Eastern side. There we found a lot of garbage along a dirt road despite signs along this road that asked not to dump anything there. In a yard bordering the dirt road we found a hearse, an automobile that was used to transport people to their last resting place. It found its own last resting place here.
No rights can be derived from this report
- Our hike through the area of Korporaal Our hike through the area of Korporaal
- Carel in the dry tanki Carel in the dry tanki
- Freshwater snails at the bottom of the now dry tanky Freshwater snails at the bottom of the now dry tanky
- Nice Dividivi tree (Watapana) Nice Dividivi tree (Watapana)
- Flower and leaves of the Korona di Hesus Flower and leaves of the Korona di Hesus
- Korona di Hesus tree Korona di Hesus tree
- Trace of former agriculture Trace of former agriculture
- Fossil shell Fossil shell
- Crop circle with three sleuths Crop circle with three sleuths
- Panoramic view of Korporaal; to the left Scherpenheuvel, to the right Bottelier Panoramic view of Korporaal; to the left Scherpenheuvel, to the right Bottelier
- The sleuths take a rest at one of the hills The sleuths take a rest at one of the hills
- Surprise: a Dreifi di laman and no laman (sea) in sight Surprise: a Dreifi di laman and no laman (sea) in sight
- Leaves and fruits of the Dreifi di laman Leaves and fruits of the Dreifi di laman
- A nice intact well A nice intact well
- This one contains water; notice the way the upper part is formed This one contains water; notice the way the upper part is formed
- Pan di diabel - flower and fruit Pan di diabel - flower and fruit
- Pan di diabel - plant Pan di diabel - plant
- The second well is no longer intact The second well is no longer intact
- Same structure of the inside Same structure of the inside
- Apparently the mondi burned Apparently the mondi burned
- Nice car wreck Nice car wreck
- Former hofi with lots of Tamarind trees Former hofi with lots of Tamarind trees
- Nymph skin of the Cicade Nymph skin of the Cicade
- Impressive Tamarind tree Impressive Tamarind tree
- More Tamarind trees More Tamarind trees
- Look how tall these are Look how tall these are
- The sign didn't help much The sign didn't help much
- Last resting place of a car that brought people to their last resting place Last resting place of a car that brought people to their last resting place