During our previous visit to the area of Zevenbergen in the Christoffelpark we went through the roi to Pos Kayuda and from there we walked back through Roi Sanchie. Between these two roi's there is a nameless roi. That was our target for the hike on Thursday January 9, 2014.
We parked our cars once again at the subtop of the Seru Gracia. From there we descended into the roi. Not an easy task because the slope was quite steep and the underground not very stable. And it had rained so the rocks were slippery.
Our progress was slow but we made it safely into the roi. The roi itself was for the first part quite different from the others that we had seen. The bottom was broad and flat, was covered with ground bromelias with inbetween only a small path were apparently the water flows after heavy rains. At the moment it was completely dry even though we had had some rain in the morning.
We continued through the roi till we reached a dry-stone wall that crossed the roi. There we paused for a while. Behind that point the roi became more typical with sloping sides. There was enough to see and capture for the photographers. In this time of the year the nature is very lush. The roi itself also became more difficult to walk through. There were several points were waterfalls would be in the wet period. We had to climb down over very slippery and steep rocks to cross these waterfalls.
From our GPS's we learned that we were near the point where we would need to leave the roi to go up to the ridge along which we wanted to go back. So we looked for a good place to start the climb. The vegetation was not very dense on the slope so the climb was relatively easy. On the top we took our lunch break on top of the dry-stone wall that crossed the top.
After the break we first continued along the dry-stone wall untill we discovered that that would lead us back into the roi. So we left the wall and started walking on the ridge. After a while we found another dry-stone wall. According to the maps this wall would be crossed by another one. We were not far from that point but the wall itself was not visible because it was completely covered by ground bromelias. We crossed the wall and walk along the perpendicular wall till we came at the dirt road. There we took another rest before we walked over the road to our cars. That was uphill and after already walking for a long time this was not easy.
We made it back to the cars just in time before it started to rain. This was the end of another beautiful hike through this area of the Christoffelpark.
- The track that we walked in blue The track that we walked in blue
- Large fungi Large fungi
- Brasil tree against a blue sky Brasil tree against a blue sky
- This snail is on its way to ...? This snail is on its way to ...?
- Caterpillar of an Automeris amoena (Silkmoth) - poisonous Caterpillar of an Automeris amoena (Silkmoth) - poisonous
- The white orchid is blooming everywhere The white orchid is blooming everywhere
- Indigo plant - Indigofera suffruticosa Indigo plant - Indigofera suffruticosa
- Flower of the Morning glory - Yerba di glas Flower of the Morning glory - Yerba di glas
- Young Banana shimaron - Humboldt's orchid Young Banana shimaron - Humboldt's orchid
- François is taking a rest François is taking a rest
- Fred walking in the roi Fred walking in the roi
- Beautiful vegetation along the roi Beautiful vegetation along the roi
- A dry-stone wall is crossing the roi A dry-stone wall is crossing the roi
- Here the roi is passing over the dry-stone wall Here the roi is passing over the dry-stone wall
- Large Gum tree - Palu di sia korá Large Gum tree - Palu di sia korá
- Abandoned nest of the Hummingbird Abandoned nest of the Hummingbird
- Kind of a tiny garden on a rock Kind of a tiny garden on a rock
- Moss Moss
- Moss-covered rocks Moss-covered rocks
- A mushroom A mushroom
- A difficult part in the roi - a waterfall A difficult part in the roi - a waterfall
- This is the waterfall that we had to climb down This is the waterfall that we had to climb down
- Another large Gum tree Another large Gum tree
- A red mushroom A red mushroom
- Almost a rainforest Almost a rainforest
- One of the few artifacts we found - a case bottle One of the few artifacts we found - a case bottle
- Dry-stone wall on the top of the nameless mountain Dry-stone wall on the top of the nameless mountain
- A rare Tilandsia - Tilandsia utriculata A rare Tilandsia - Tilandsia utriculata
- Another artifact - a piece of a roof tile Another artifact - a piece of a roof tile
- Moss hanging in a tree Moss hanging in a tree
- Flower of the ground bromelia - Teku Flower of the ground bromelia - Teku
- Flower of the Abrus precatorius - makurá Flower of the Abrus precatorius - makurá
- Lots of Ladies of the night - White orchid Lots of Ladies of the night - White orchid
- A nice example of Knip formation rocks A nice example of Knip formation rocks