On Thursday May 26 2016 the archaeology sleuths parked their cars along the road to Westpunt close to plantation house Ascension. Our target for that day was de Kunuku Striebeek, one of the old kunuku's along a dirt road visible on the Werbata map. This kunuku Striebeek looks rather undisturbed on Google Earth so we hoped to find foundations or other remnants of the many houses that are marked on the Werbata map in this kunuku.
When we arrived at the border between kunuku Caridad (a small kunuku) and kunuku Striebeek we entered the vegetation. Between these two kunuku's there seems to have been a path with on both sides a fence, a rather new one on the Caridad side and an old one on the Striebeek side. We entered the kunuku Striebeek.
Some parts of the area had a dense vegetation other parts were rather open. From experience we know that the most logical place to look for the ruins or remnants of old houses is where there are a lot of columnar cacti. Especially when these correspond with the location marked by Werbata. But this time we didn't find any traces of houses. We found a lot of artifacts, even concentrations of artifacts, some old some rather recent, but no trace of foundations or buildings. We searched part of the kunuku extensively without success. Given the fact that all artifacts were only small pieces we concluded that this area probably has been cleared in the past with bulldozers. That would explain why there are only small pieces of artifacts and why there are concentrations at some places. But it also means that there is no hope of finding the small houses that were here in the past.
After a break François proposed to a show part of the group the location of the ruins of the (newer) plantation house Patrick. Fred, Chris, Eddy and I decided to search another part of the kunuku Striebeek. Also there we didn't find any traces of buildings. What we did find was an nice old car wreck. A large American car with still some paint on part of the body. A search on the Internet by Fred and François based on a part number found on the steering mechanism revealed that this was a 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner. A nice find.
Another nice find was a miniature cola bottle. Some of us have good memories of these kind of miniature bottles from their childhood. Apparently these miniature bottles were produces in the twenties of last century but also in the sixties of last century. It is unclear how old this particular bottle is.
This concluded our search of kunuku Striebeek. Afterwards we celebrated several birthdays in the restaurant of Dokterstuin.
- Our track from the parking lot through Striebeek Our track from the parking lot through Striebeek
- Detail of our track in kunuku Striebeek Detail of our track in kunuku Striebeek
- Ceramic artifact Ceramic artifact
- Plaster with paint on a piece of rock Plaster with paint on a piece of rock
- Concentration of artifacts Concentration of artifacts
- Bottom piece of an old glass bottle Bottom piece of an old glass bottle
- Miniature cola bottle Miniature cola bottle
- Old Spice bottle Old Spice bottle
- Pieces of roof tile Pieces of roof tile
- Also a piss pot Also a piss pot
- Fred and Wynne in the dense vegetation Fred and Wynne in the dense vegetation
- Bottles Bottles
- Another bottom piece of an old glass bottle Another bottom piece of an old glass bottle
- Car door with handle Car door with handle
- IJssel brick IJssel brick
- Another pot and a lot of bottles Another pot and a lot of bottles
- a broken muller a broken muller
- Piece of iron Piece of iron
- Concentration of roof tiles and other artifacts Concentration of roof tiles and other artifacts
- A small ear of a puppet A small ear of a puppet
- Concrete Concrete
- Piece of a case bottle Piece of a case bottle
- Detail of a wringer of an old washing machine Detail of a wringer of an old washing machine
- Pieces of an old washing machine Pieces of an old washing machine
- Wreck of an 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner Wreck of an 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner
- Piece of the steering column with identification Piece of the steering column with identification
- Tail lights Tail lights
- Dashboard Dashboard
- Pieces of a wind mill Pieces of a wind mill
- A lot of snails in a bottle A lot of snails in a bottle
- Ceramic tile Ceramic tile
- Old kunuku house Old kunuku house