Opposite the country house Klein St Martha a village is visible on the topographical map from the beginning of the 20th century. Like most villages from that time this one consisted of some small stone-made houses but mostly houses built from a framework of branches covered with mud. As time goes by not much remains from this kind of houses. Artifacts are the only things that remain from such a village and possibly some foundations. But it is always nice to find proof of a former village so the archaeology sleuths went to this area for an investigation. We were allowed to park our cars at the beautifully restored plantation house of Klein St. Martha. This plantation house is now in use as a small but exclusive hotel and restaurant.
First we took a good look at the plantation house. A beautiful house at a perfect location. The view over the bay of Groot St. Martha completes it nicely. To the East the plantation house of Groot St. Martha is visible and to the West the plantation house of San Nicolaas. Plantation houses were always built in view of each other so that in case of emergency at least one other plantation house could be reached or warned.
From there we crossed the road and went to the former magazina (storage building). This building got another purpose afterwards but is currently once again empty.
Closeby we found a stone structure hidden in the bushes. Even after clearing some of the vegetation we were not able to determine what it was. It consisted of a wall with connected a small halfround stone structure. That last part could have been a well although it was a bit small for that purpose.
Then we entered the area of the former village. Apart from a pungent smell coming from a dead pig we found immediately a lot of artifacts; parts of old bottles and jars, some iron artifacts and also earthenware. More than enough proof of former habitation. Only at one place we found some traces of a foundation. An adjoining area was almost completely devoid of artifacts, so probably this part has been cleared in the past.
When we started looking for a tanki that was indicated on the Werbata map we found a large round stone structure almost at the exact location of the tanki. The structure was too large to be a well; it was completely filled up with earth. At one place in the side near the top and also at that same place on the top of the structure we found roof tiles embedded in the plaster. Also something that could have been an overflow. On one side there was a larger foundation extending from the structure. Maybe that foundation was the stone dam that was visible on the map. The large round structure is maybe built later at the location of the tanki; maybe some accident has happened in the past and as a precaution the structure was filled up with earth. But this all is a guess.
We went on in the direction of the hofi where we encountered some very dense vegetation that prevented us from going in the direction that we had wanted. The hofi has a lot of large mango trees some of which bear fruit at the moment. A good place for our tradtional apple break.
Because of the vegetation we had no other choice than to go back from where we came. Back at the road we went to the bay where normally fisherboats can be found. None were there at the moment.
- The map with the track in blue The map with the track in blue
- The completely restored plantation house of Klein Santa Martha The completely restored plantation house of Klein Santa Martha
- Currently in use as a small exclusive hotel Currently in use as a small exclusive hotel
- There is also a swimming pool There is also a swimming pool
- The view is beautiful The view is beautiful
- In the back the former water tank with roof In the back the former water tank with roof
- Nice facade Nice facade
- An additional building An additional building
- The swimming pool The swimming pool
- A very nice flower next to the plantation house A very nice flower next to the plantation house
- On the other side of the road we found this Faira On the other side of the road we found this Faira
- New leaves on the Flaira New leaves on the Flaira
- Flower and fruit of the Flaira Flower and fruit of the Flaira
- Also Indigo plants on the side of the road Also Indigo plants on the side of the road
- The former magazina (storage building) of the plantation house The former magazina (storage building) of the plantation house
- Inside of the magazina Inside of the magazina
- Karel Aster is looking at a strange structure Karel Aster is looking at a strange structure
- Artifacts all around show that there was habitation here in the past Artifacts all around show that there was habitation here in the past
- A small shoe (recent) and the bottom of an old bottle A small shoe (recent) and the bottom of an old bottle
- Aloe plants; often found where houses have been Aloe plants; often found where houses have been
- Parts of old bottles Parts of old bottles
- Bottoms of old bottles Bottoms of old bottles
- Parts of jenever jars, part of an IJssel brick and part of a case bottle Parts of jenever jars, part of an IJssel brick and part of a case bottle
- Unknown iron object; could it be a large nut Unknown iron object; could it be a large nut
- Another metal object, also unknown Another metal object, also unknown
- P&S Rendorp - Amsterdam; dated 1825/1875 P&S Rendorp - Amsterdam; dated 1825/1875
- Top of a very old case bottle Top of a very old case bottle
- An enamelled metal water can An enamelled metal water can
- Very old piece of earthenware Very old piece of earthenware
- Bottom of this piece shows that is was from a dinner plate Bottom of this piece shows that is was from a dinner plate
- Time for a break under the trees Time for a break under the trees
- Very large round structure completely filled up with earth Very large round structure completely filled up with earth
- A picture from the side shows embedded roof tiles A picture from the side shows embedded roof tiles
- Also on top we find rooftiles at one place Also on top we find rooftiles at one place
- There is a larger foundation or remnant of a wall around the structure There is a larger foundation or remnant of a wall around the structure
- An earthen dam An earthen dam
- In the hofi we find mango trees with fruits In the hofi we find mango trees with fruits
- An impressive Mango tree An impressive Mango tree
- Eddy under a tree Eddy under a tree
- This tree has interesting shapes This tree has interesting shapes
- And finally we found our pisspot And finally we found our pisspot
- At some places the vegetation was very dense At some places the vegetation was very dense
- Here charcoal is made from the brances of the Indju tree Here charcoal is made from the brances of the Indju tree
- The fisherman's harbor in the bay of Santa Martha The fisherman's harbor in the bay of Santa Martha
No rights can be derived from this report