Two visits to the refinery

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Isla terrein 20140911 005 smallWe got special permission from the management of RdK (Refineria di Korsou, Refinery of Curaçao) to visit the terrain of the refinery; in the past this terrain consisted of a number of plantations, Asiento, a large part of Rio Canario, Valentijn, De Hoop, Bleinheim, Gasparito, part of Heintje Kool, a small part of Roozendaal and a part of Marchena. We, members of the Working group Archaeology of Curaçao, were interested if any remains of the old plantation houses and graves in this area could be found. For the central part where the actual refinery installations are built there is certainly nothing left, but to the West an area is not occupied by installations so maybe there we would be lucky.

On Thursday September 11, 2014 we brought our first visit. After getting through the security procedures we were accompanied by Head of security, mister Pietersz, mister Cedrick Martina from RDK and the security guard mister Hasselmeyer from Isla Refinery. Mister Pietersz first brought us to a small graveyard. We knew that there would be a grave on the Isla terrain but we didn't expect to see this small graveyard in the middle of the refinery installations. Apparently there were special conditions applied when the plantation Asiento was sold to the refinery; the graveyard should be kept intact and accessible. And indeed that is the case. There is small walled area with three graves. The first grave is of Charles August Count de Larrey, who died on August 13, 1832 and the second grave is of his wife Petronella Elisabeth Coerman, who died on October 22, 1845. It is not completely sure who lies in the third grave but there is an indication that there the mullatin Maria Gregoria, called Pauw of Pouw, is burried.
This was a very interesting find.

Our next stop was the former director's house in the area that was called Negropont; this house is so typical Dutch that it reminds me of similar houses in Zeist in The Netherlands. It is currently in use for certain meetings and special presentations or projects. There mister Pietersz left us; during the remainder of the tour we were accompanied by Cedrick Martina and mister Hasselmeyer.

We drove to the area known as the Marchena Yard. That area is not occupied by installations. Our first stop was the location indicated on the Werbata map as a grave. But we couldn't find any remains of a grave in the indicated area. Then we drove on to the place where in the past plantation house Marchena was located. That area appeared to be cleared rather recently; we did find a number of artifacts to the North of the area but nothing of a foundation of the plantation house.

The same happened on the former plantation Gasparito; also there we found an area now overgrown with Wabis and apparently in the past completely cleared. We didn't look for remains of buildings there. Instead we went looking to the North-east for some waterworks. We found a dam and the remnants of a water tank in that area; surprisingly there was a lush vegetation in that area; in the past there was a roi here and apparently there is still water close to the surface.

That concluded our visit for that day. We drove back to the entrance of the refinery in Emmastad where we had our cars parked. Look below for the pictures of this first visit and then on a second page the report of the second visit